Laurance 2010

Laurance 2010
13

Monday, June 2, 2008

Development

When Laurance was 3-years old I began to notice delays in his use of language. The other children in his daycare were moving right along in the typical fashion, but I noticed his speech was at least a year behind the other children. He did not actually potty train until a month before he turned 4. Of course, the potty training was more of a power play tool than anything else. When I told him I had had enough and privileges were going to be taken away if he didn't start using the toilet, that was it he was potty trained. He wore pull-ups to bed for 2-weeks after that, then he decided that he didn't need them. He never went backward, or lost any of his skills.

Aside from his struggle with language he is really quite normal. However, his teacher recently pointed out that he is still at that huggy stage, which most children outgrow by the time they are 8 or 9. I remember my nephew at 8-years old becoming embarrassed when we would give him hugs and kisses at ball practice. Laurance has never had a problem with a public display of affection from those he loves.

Though he is still having some difficulty mastering his use of language, he has improved considerably, and he is continuing to grow. He is a very intelligent boy, and sometimes he surprises me at just how intelligent he is. In fact, he's learned how to use his developmental challenges to manipulate me; that is where I really have to be on my toes.

His delays are most noticeable in his use of language, and he needs to hone some of his fine motor skills. Other than that there are really no outside signs of autism. I am beginning to think that he is not actually autistic, but that he falls more within the spectrum; PDD or maybe aspergers syndrome. The most frustrating part of all this is that the professionals cannot agree. He has been evaluated by 5 professionals so far, and 3 have said autism; one of those 3 said that he needs to be evaluated more frequently. The other 2 believe it is simply ADHD. I cannot agree with a straight ADHD diagnosis either; Laurance's language delays at his age are not due to ADHD.

So, here I am still trying to get answers. Since he is high functioning he falls through the cracks, which means that I do not get the help that I would if he was considered low functioning. I am frustrated he's getting older, and the answers are going to cost me money that I do not have right now.

So, what am I doing about this? I'm selling everything!

Please check out my store on eBay, A Boutique of Everything.

No comments:

Laurance 8

Laurance 8
First time at the beach